Our monthly meetings are held the third Wednesday from 6:30-8:30 pm. We alternate between Lincoln and Omaha. Members from Lincoln or Omaha usually carpool to the city hosting the meeting, which of course, gives us more time to talk about our favorite brick! Meetings are filled with many different LEGO® activities such as Drafts, Iron Builder competitions, MOC ( My Own Creation) presentations. Our meetings also allow our members to get together to share their ideas, new creations, and talk all things LEGO®. If this sounds like you type of group, please feel free to drop in on a meeting.
LEGO® is more popular than ever with new sets, movies, television programs, and games. Our roster has soared to over 50 members! LOLUG has men and women fans of LEGO® from all ages so everyone should feel welcome at our meetings and events. LOLUG, is open to anyone 16 years and older. If you are under 19, a parent/guardian must accompany you to all LOLUG events. Unfortunately we get many inquiries about allowing those under 16 into LOLUG and we cannot make exceptions.
A LEGO® draft is an activity where multiple copies of a single set is divided between participants. Preparation includes dividing the sets into lots. This can be done in various ways, including by piece and color. Generally, each mini figure is assembled and is its own lot. Then each participant is randomly assigned a rank. Each person takes a turn and chooses a lot in rank order until all lots are taken.
Our Iron builder is a monthly competition to create a unique MOC (My Own Creation) in which a predetermined “seed” pieces is selected. The winner each month is granted the honor of choosing the next month’s seed piece. We find that this is a great way to help learn new building techniques and and gain ideas from other members. To see some of our past builds, check out our Flickr page.
Quit often, one or more of our members will put together a LEGO® related presentation to present to the group. These are given to help inform others of everything from new techniques and building styles to the best way to incorporate lights or decals into your builds.
White Elephant Gift Exchange
A White Elephant gift exchange, for those who are not familiar with the rules they are as followed:
- Each member brings one wrapped gift to contribute to a common pool
- The gift must be LEGO® related valued at no more than $10-15.
- Numbers are drawn to decide order of gift selection
- The first member selects a gift from the pool and opens it
- The following member can choose to either pick an unwrapped gift from the pool or steal a previous player’s gift. Anyone who gets their gift stolen in this way can do the same – choose a new gift or steal from someone else
- Each gift may only be “stolen” twice. After that the gift is locked and that member is out
- After all members have picked, the game ends